Radishes are members of the Brassicaceae (mustard or cabbage) family. The root is related to kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and horseradish, among others.
Radishes are a great low-cal snack; one cup of sliced radishes has only 19 calories.
Gzik – Polish Cheese on Toast – From Farm Member Nicola
- 150g Twarog (polish soft cheese) – can be substituted with a pot of cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream – can be substituted with crème fraiche/Greek yoghurt
- 1-2 bunches of radishes diced into cubes- quantity depends on what you get in your veg bag!
- 1 bunch of chives
- Salt and pepper
- Slices of soured gherkins put on top (optional)
- Slices of bread – toasted or fresh e.g. sourdough. We toast slices of ‘Romanian bread’ from Colchester’s Blackberry bakery
Mix soft cheese with sour cream to get a smoother, less lumpy consistency.
Add in radishes, chives, salt and pepper
Spread mixture on toast
Add slices of soured gherkins on top